Mural of Beechwood Avenue in 1950
50 Beechwood Avenue. Artist: David Yeatman (2004)
Beechwood Avenue ran through the small French Canadian community of Clarkstown before it was amalgamated with Janeville and Clandeboye in 1909. Today, this elegant avenue separates the districts of New Edinburgh and Vanier. In 1950, Beechwood Avenue was the main artery in Clarkstown. It leads to the Beechwood Cemetery, which includes the National Military Cemetery of the Canadian Forces.
In the mid-twentieth century, streetcars used to run up and down the avenue, linking the community to downtown Ottawa. A silhouette of Saint-Charles Church, built in 1908, can be seen in the background. Although most of the businesses from that time no longer exist, Beechwood Avenue remains an impressive commercial hub with high-end boutiques and businesses lining its wide, modern and well-maintained sidewalks.
Streetcars in Vanier…
Streetcar service to Vanier (Clarkstown) began in 1921. The streetcars travelled over the Saint Patrick Street Bridge and went as far as Beechwood Avenue. Despite their persistent requests, Janeville residents never managed to obtain streetcar service to their neighbourhood via the Cummings Bridge.