Eastview Baptist Church
329 Olmstead Street
The present Baptist church in Vanier was built in 1924. The presbytery was added in the 1950s.
The history of the Baptist community in Vanier can be traced back to the last decades of the nineteenth century. A few missionaries of the First Baptist Church in Ottawa made regular visits to Janeville, where services and a Sunday school were organized, as the opportunity arose, in private homes.
It was not until 1910 that a first wooden church was built on Second Avenue (now Savard Street). In 1921, the Eastview Baptist Church was finally opened officially, with 44 founding members.
When the food bank established by Partage Vanier began its operations in 1989, it was granted space in the basement of the Eastview Baptist Church. Nowadays, the food bank of Partage Vanier is located at 161 Marier Street.
The Eastview Baptist Church is now a multicultural community which welcomes several different language groups. Since 1991, it has held services in English and in Portuguese.